Feb 10 I check into the hospital at 7 am. I am still having no contractions on my own, although I have had what feels like menstrual cramps for 2 weeks at least. They start me on the pitocin and my labor begins probably around 8:30 or so. They say I can have an epidural at any time. I remember from last time it took the anestesiologist like 40 minutes to get there and then another half hour for the meds to kick in so I dont want my pain level to get too out of control.
Dr Baylor comes in and breaks my water, when she does she sees a tinge of color that makes her suspect that Connor possibly swalled some miconium. So she said she was glad we didnt wait until the due date and went early. Probably around 10:30 or so I go ahead and call for the epidural and am comfortable. However, just like with Casey for whatever reason that medicine really messes with my blood pressure. I got really nauseated several times but didnt throw like I did constantly with Casey. They didnt like my pressure at all which was dipping to I think around 70 over 50 or so and they came and shut off the epidural, and that sucked for awhile. Dr comes to check on me around 1pm and I am like 3.5 cm dilated, not much progress at all. So I am like great this is going to be a late evening baby or something. And remember you cant eat anything but ice chips until after it's all over.
I continue to have issues with the blood pressure fluctuations throughout the labor and the nurses checking on me say I am about 8-9 cm dilated around 3pm so I made progress quick, but when the Dr followed up she said almost 8. So we wait a little longer. About 4:30 she said ok you are about 9.5-10, we are ready to push soon. This is gross but she says when you feel like you have to go number 2 you need to push. I start pushing around 5pm. First she tells me to hold my legs, but then get's out these bars to hold onto and I push much better with those. I have a series of maybe 10 contractions, where I am pushing with all my might. At one point she stops me and says "stephanie, you are so close, give me your hand" and she let's me touch his head. It's SO WEIRD! I think after that I push once or twice more and I hear Dr Baylor say "How much did Casey weigh?" I say "7.11" and she goes "This baby is HUGE, more like 8.11" I'm thinking really? how weird. No miconium after all although they cleaned him up good just to be safe, turns out it's just the cream color sheets which she hates. She doesnt understand why they went away from white. They clean him up and put him on the scale which I can see from my bed. It say's 9.5 and I am like can that be right? I gained 33 pounds this pregnancy just like I did with Casey. I didn't think I was capable of a baby that size. But he is healthy.
All the nurses have nicknamed Connor "Surfer Dude" because it looks as though he spends time in the sun. His hair is really light brown but has blonde tips. It's hilarious really.
Btw hospital had to switch out newborn diapers for size 1. He was already pee'ing outside of them.
Did well on his APGAR testing as well as passed his hearing tests. Was circumsized and didnt cry. So far he is alot calmer than casey, less crying. Which is good. He just wants to be fed at ALL TIMES which is sort of nightmare when you are nursing.
Monday, February 21, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment